Saturday, August 29, 2015

Caretaker Poinciana

The story that formerly appeared here, "Caretaker Poinciana", has been accepted for publication in the upcoming anthology After Oil 4: The Future's Far Shores. More info about that at this link (scroll down towards the end of the post):

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2015/09/another-world-is-inevitable.html

All the stories in this anthology are set at least a thousand years into a future where fossil fuels are no longer an option to support our modern industrial society. I have read some of the other stories that will be included, and they are really good. I am excited to be a part of it!

I encourage anyone interested in reading my story to buy the book. I will post a link to it on this blog once it becomes available.

2 comments:

  1. Great story!
    The idea of writing about nuclear storage and attitudes to it in the future is a fascinating one.

    I love the great nguyen quotes and how you use these to support the drama between the characters.

    I'd love to read more of this, i reckon it could work as a longer firm thing as well?

    Don't know if you've heard this amazing podcast episode about the design challenges of alerting people to the danger of these sites in the fat future, but your story reminded me of it. The only thing that could improve your story would be the presence of ray cats :-) (makes sense if you hear the podcast)

    http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

    Thanks again for this, it's been great to discover the awesome, creative people who are fellow readers of jmg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. =)

    The story would work as a longer piece I suppose. I have not given that much thought though since I only began writing this story a little over a week ago and was mostly focused on making the deadline. I will say though that, in my mind at least, "For Our Mushrooms", the story I wrote that got published in After Oil 3-- shameless plug!-- is in the same universe as "Caretaker Poinciana" even though there are no references in either story to each other-- they take place ~500 years apart on different parts of the continent. I don't know if that qualifies as reading more, but it's the best I have right now haha.

    I have not heard the podcast you mention, but I will listen to it when I get a chance. Thanks again for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete