Thursday, November 1, 2018

Twinkle, Twinkle, E-F-G

Lately I have been taking a class in Mandarin Chinese at the Confucius Institute at a local university. I have taken the introductory class several times, from different teachers each time, but no matter who is teaching the class, they always start the course with the exact same, weirdly specific thing. The very first thing we always do is learn the pinyin initials (b, p, m, f, d, t, n, l, g, k, h, j, q, x, zh, ch, sh, z, c, s, y, w) by singing them in unison to the tune of The Alphabet Song. It's kind of clunky due to there only being 22 initials, so an adjustment has to be made at the end, usually singing Y and W as a weird kind of Amen-chord in a place one would not normally expect the song to end.

But you know the song I am referring to, yes? That is the song little kids use to learn their ABC's-- the song that ends with "Now I've said my ABC's / Next time won't you sing with me?". That song.

So, that class is why The Alphabet Song has been on my mind in recent days. Question for you: How old were you when you learned that The Alphabet Song and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star are... the same? Different words, but totally the same tune.

If your answer is, "I was today years old," don't worry. You can impress your friends now, not only with that knowledge, but you-- yes, you-- can also sing for them this mashed-up medley of the two that totally rhymes. You're welcome.

Twinkle, Twinkle, E-F-G

(to the tune of... well... you know)


Twinkle, Twinkle, E-F-G
How I wonder L-M-N-O-P
Q-R-S the world so high
W-X in the sky
Now I've said my little star
Next time wonder what you are

***

(I'm embarrassed to say, I never noticed these songs were the same as a kid. I found out as an adult only a few years ago, I want to say from a Wikipedia article.)

No comments:

Post a Comment