Monday, October 1, 2018

Milestones and Updates

Two milestones of note. Number one: this blog had just over 500 views last month (506 to be exact), the first time that threshold has been reached. The previous biggest months for the blog were August 2018, with 366 views for the month, and May 2017 (coinciding with the initial launch of the Numenera Character Generator) with 239 views. These are the only three months since the blog's inception in 2014 that have ever broken 200 views. So, that's encouraging.

I promise it was not just me refreshing the page in September! In fact, I have set an option on the admin side that says my own page views of the blog should not be counted in site stats. (I'm not convinced that option actually works as intended, but whatever. I tried.)

What are people coming here to see? The most popular thing to look at on the site, by a substantial margin, is the Numenera 2 Character Generator. No real surprise there; it is the only thing of its kind on the web, so far as I know. Coming in at a distant second are the various chapters (and Table of Contents) of the Tears of the Gods serial novel. TOTG posts consistently rack up more views over the long run than fluff posts such as this one. That indicates to me that there's an actual readership for that work, albeit small, not just random bots or whatever crawling the web and stumbling upon random bits of my blog. For some reason (if you are curious), the most viewed TOTG chapter is Chapter Four - Demons of the Deep, with 157 total views since its initial publication in March 2017. Must be the intriguing chapter title.

(Yes, I know no one cares about these minuscule numbers. But I care, and that's the important thing.)

While I'm on the subject of the N2 character generator and the Tears of the Gods, I suppose updates about both are in order.

Character Generator update: The code to have the generator show page-references for your chosen descriptor, type, and focus has been added, and seems to work, but I have not yet added the actual data. Currently it only displays page references for your type. I will be working on it this week, and hope to have all the data in before the weekend.

TOTG update: The play-by-forum game it is based on is still ongoing. Frequency of Tears updates here at Troy Stories of course depends upon the pace of that game there at BoardGameGeek. That said, it is very likely that the "Winter Lightning" chapter will be ready to publish some time in October.

The other milestone (bet you thought I forgot there were two milestones to announce today): Vintage Worlds has surged past 200 backers and $5000 pledged since I last posted about the campaign. The final 48 hours of the campaign has, in fact, seen a big bump in support, as predicted. And as of this writing there's still one more day to go, so go pledge if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment