Friday, March 1, 2019

Updates and Milestones: March 1, 2019

February was another record-breaking month for the blog-- just eking over six hundred page-views over the course of this shortest-of-all months, the first time that threshold has been reached, or even closely approached! (603 views to be exact). We also are very close to the 5,000 total views milestone, which likely will be surpassed some time in March. Woo!

Miscellaneous Blog Updates

To celebrate all these page-views (not really), I made a custom background and tweaked a few of the other customization options for the blog. Up till this point, Troy Stories has used Blogger's "Simple" theme more or less as-is, with minimal customization. It was time to try to create an interesting and unique look for my site. I kind of dig the result. The color scheme, if you are wondering-- black, dark gray, and white with bright green accents-- is loosely based on that of the Houston Outlaws, who are my favorite Overwatch League team. (Sadly they are not off to a great start this season, but oh well. They still have the coolest color scheme.)

The other blog-related update is that I want to commit, here in writing, to making at least four posts a month (including the monthly "milestones" posts, which I plan to do around the first of every month). That's, on average, about once a week, but my schedule is such that I don't want to commit to weekly posts on a particular day of the week. It will be, some weeks no posts, other weeks two or three posts, but hopefully most weeks at least one post.

Poetry

I have gotten some positive feedback in regards to "Come Home Ere Falls the Night", (aka "A Ruinman's Villanelle"). In fact, it is now the most-viewed non-Numenera post on Troy Stories. That makes me want to write more poems for the site.

The Tears of the Gods

I have changed my mind again about the Tears of the Gods story. I will be attempting to complete the novel despite the game being prematurely ended. Though I still have not heard from the former GM, I have the permission from the former players to write it according to a rough outline I sketched out to them on BGG. Chapter 11-- which is pretty close to being finished, by the way-- is partly based on what happened in the game, partly just me writing after the game had ended. Moving forward, future chapters will be just me writing, barring some kind of completely unforeseen circumstance.

The good news is, since I am no longer dependent on anyone else for content, updates to this story should, in theory, come a bit more frequently. On the other hand, since it is just me now, I have to come up with all the ideas myself, and moreover there's no accountability or incentive to buckle down and write. And, as regular readers of this blog may have noticed, I am a procrastinator.

Nonetheless, I am hopeful for this story to get finished someday.

Scrabble/WWF Guides

These posts require a lot of work to research and put together. Of course, the word lists that form the "seeds" for this content are freely available elsewhere already, but tracking down definitions is a little bit of a hassle. Many online dictionaries do not have definitions for many of these words. Of course, there's always the paper Scrabble dictionary, but that is less convenient to refer to, and often the paper Scrabble dictionary's offered definition is concise to the point of being cryptic (see, e.g., the definitions of oe or po).

I expect I will have Part Four (R-Z) of the Two-Make-Three series up some time in March, but after that, will probably put the Scrabble guides on hiatus and concentrate on writing more interesting content. (I mean, *I* think the Scrabble posts are interesting, and in fact, I myself learn quite a bit putting them together, but they don't rack up the kind of views the fiction, poetry, and Numenera posts typically get. They do do better than Esperanto posts, however, so there's that.)

That's all for now. Lord willin', we will have several posts this month and another general update April 1. (Not an April Fools post. Probably.)

No comments:

Post a Comment