Friday, December 20, 2019

Star Wars is Surprisingly Unterrible (No Spoilers)

I wasn't planning on seeing the new Star Wars movie since I didn't really care for episodes 7 and 8, but a friend of mine from church bought all the tickets for a 74-seat theater for the premiere of episode 9 and resold them at cost to people he knew, so I thought, why not jump in on this action. The chance to see a movie in a theater full of people I all knew was pretty neat.

I won't spoil anything about the movie. I just want to say, if you like true Star Wars movies, you'll like episode 9. Unlike some others I could name, this one is actually worthy of the Star Wars name, in my opinion.

Don't listen to the critics on Rotten Tomatoes (who give it, currently, a 57%). Note the audience rating, which is 87%. This is almost the exact inverse of episode 8, which had a 91% from the critics and a 43% from the audience. This basically shows that movie critics today have essentially no integrity or intellectual honesty. The movie is good, and the critics-- as usual-- are full of it.

(A side-rant. Ever since Roger Ebert passed away, there has not been a halfway decent movie critic/reviewer that I can find. I did not agree with everything Ebert said, or even most of what he said, but his opinions about movies were presented mostly logically, focused mostly on relevant things, and mostly without spoilers. I knew if I was thinking about watching a movie, I could read Ebert's review of it and know pretty reliably whether I would like the movie-- not that I liked the same sorts of movies he liked, which actually I mostly didn't-- but that his reviews were sufficiently honest that I could get a pretty good idea of whether I would like a movie based on what he said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment